The Beth Shalom Hebrew Young Men's Cemetery is located at 5830 Windsor Mill Road in Woodlawn. It was originally founded as the Hebrew Young Men’s Sick Relief Association of Baltimore in 1888, whose main purpose was to assist those of our Jewish brethren from Russia and Lithuania settling in Baltimore. During its early years, the Association aiding the sick by providing physician services and weekly sick benefit payments. In 1893, they continued their work by purchasing land for a cemetery and then again, in 1936, land for a “new” cemetery, formed as a Jewish Orthodox cemetery, was purchased on Windsor Mill Road in Woodlawn, Maryland.
The Association also in its early years, provided death benefits to its members' families. During the 1930’s, the Association started to form a social community network of its members. Over the years, members would meet on Sunday mornings for breakfast, speakers, and friendship. In fact, several members of Beth Shalom attended some of these breakfast social gatherings as small children with their grandparents.
Unfortunately, over time, the aging and passing of many of the Hebrew Young Men membership caused a drop in active membership. In an effort to continue to maintain the original spirit and purpose, the Association formed an alliance with Beth Shalom Congregation of Columbia, Maryland. While both organizations remain independent, they now share members and volunteer resources for the mutual benefit of each organization.
The Beth Shalom Hebrew Young Men Cemetery continues to operate under Jewish law as a Jewish Orthodox cemetery. Thus, Beth Shalom has an affiliation with a cemetery to offer it’s member families and Hebrew Young Men Association has an affiliation with a growing and vibrant Jewish organization! And every member of Beth Shalom is automatically considered a member of the Hebrew Young Men Association for purposes of cemetery use. In recent years, under the leadership of the Hebrew Young Men Association President, Ron Meliker, improvements have been made to the landscaping at the cemetery. Walkways and meditation areas have been added and families have an opportunity to remember their loved ones by personalizing one of the new benches. The Beth Shalom Congregation staff has taken an active role in the day to day management of the cemetery. Please call 410 531-5115 x300 and speak with Liat Novek if you have any questions or would like to make a purchase.
Please Note: In addition to the Beth Shalom Hebrew Young Men's Cemetery, Beth Shalom members also utilize the Columbia Memorial Park Cemetery, located on Route 108 in Clarksville, Maryland. The Columbia Memorial Park is a multi-denominational cemetery that has agreed to set aside an area exclusively for those of Jewish faith.